2497 Brenner Street
Roseville, MN 55113
To bring my enthusiasm and interactive teaching style to the math classroom. I am seeking a full-time teaching position focused on making mathematics understandable, applicable, and enjoyable to high school students.
1987 -- M.A. Mathematics -- University of Minnesota -- Minneapolis, MN
1984 -- B.A. Mathematics -- Gustavus Adolphus College -- St. Peter MN
Expected August 1996 -- Minnesota Secondary Teaching -- Mathematics
1995-1996 -- Roosevelt High School -- Minneapolis, MN
1984-1996 -- Department of Mathematics -- University of Minnesota
1992-1995 -- Inver Hills Community College -- Inver Grove Heights, MN
1992-1993 -- General College -- University of Minnesota
1992 -- College of Liberal Arts Pre-major Advising -- University of Minnesota
Student Teacher -- Roosevelt High School -- Minneapolis, MN (1995-1996)
Developed lessons, activities, and assessments for Math-Tech, Pre-Algebra, Geometry courses. Provided timely feedback on student progress. Worked with students outside of class hours. Developed and maintained a workable classroom management plan. Worked to increase parental involvement through regular communication and monthly news letters. Co-created a display of geometry student computer investigations on the internet.
- Math Instructor - Inver Hills Community College and General College (1992-1995)
Taught both developmental and undergraduate math courses; integrated technology into the classroom with the appropriate use of computer labs and group discovery projects; advised Inver Hills' Math League team; attended professional conferences and workshops; worked individually with students of widely varying abilities in "learning lab" settings.
Talented Youth Instructor - Special Projects, Math Department, University of Minnesota (1991-1994)
Co-instructed the calculus component of University of Minnesota Talented Youth Project (UMTYMP), a program providing a challenging math education to gifted secondary students. Led weekly mastery problem workshops. Provided support and detailed feedback to students and parents. Implemented calculus reform initiatives in the classroom.
- Math Advising Specialist - College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota (1992)
Interviewed and placed nearly 350 College of Liberal Arts freshmen into appropriate math courses. Resources included transcripts, ACT scores, and math placement test results.
Teaching Assistant Orientation Leader - Math Department, University of Minnesota (1987-1991)
Co-led the math department's orientation program for new graduate students. Activities included introduction to teaching methods and strategies, overseeing and critiquing practice teaching sessions, and general orientation to graduate school.
Lecturer/Recitation Instructor - Department of Math, University of Minnesota (1984-1991, 1995-1996)
Conducted both large and small group math classes; supervised and coordinated recitation instructors; prepared and quizzes and exams; made final course grade line determinations.
- Magna Cum Laude - Gustavus Adolphus College - May 1984
- Excellence in Teaching Citation - (University of Minnesota 1988) Departmental award for continued excellence in teaching, based on faculty and student evaluations.
- Math Tech
- Basic Algebra
- Intermediate Algebra
- College Algebra
- Business Calculus
- Honors Calculus
- Multi-variable Calculus
- Vector Calculus
For more detailed information, you may link to Courses Taught . This give a quarter-by-quarter listing of the courses I have taught at the University of Minnesota, Inver Hills Community College, and Roosevelt High School.
- Graphing Calculators: I have used TI's in the following courses:
- Macintosh software I make use of the following Macintosh software
- Geometer's Sketch Pad
- Math Analyzer
- World Wide Web Cite: http://www.geom.umn.edu/~dwiggins
- NCTM -- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- MAA -- Mathematical Association of America
- MNADE -- Minnesota Association for Developmental Education
- MnMATYC -- Minnesota Mathematical Association for Two-Year Colleges
References and Credential File
Send inquiries to:
Student and Professional Services
110 Wulling Hall 86 Pleasant Street S.E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- My Home Page: My Hompage includes more background information as well as links to other items of interest. Some of these are listed below.
- My Teaching Philosophy: This site describes my views on the role of education in today's society, how I believe kids best learn, and how I believe teachers should ideally teach.
- My Views on Classroom Management: Although somewhat idealistic, this site outlines my thoughts on proper classroom management plan.
- Sample Lesson: This sites leads you to my favorite "rainy day lesson" which I can use for varying levels of students.
- Educational Web Site: This site leads you to an exciting interactive geometry project which I have co-authored with fellow math education students Jodi Crane and Linda Stevens.
- Sample Syllabus: This is a sample syllabus created for my geometry students at Roosevelt High School.
Your comments are welcome, as are any job offers!
Please feel free to send your comments by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the following address:
2497 Brenner Street
Roseville, MN 55113
WWW homepage: http://www.geom.umn.edu/~dwiggins