Up: Geometry Center Staff
Activities at the Geometry Center
Dr. Sander is currently involved in curriculum development and teaching
for the Geometry Center course Elementary Methods in Computational
Geometry, a course for secondary educators. The class first ran in
Spring, 1995, in which it was very well received. It ran again in the
Winter, 1996, and will be running again as the teachers' summer
program Summer, 1996. The modules Dr. Sander wrote for the course include
a geometric exploration using
Geometer's Sketchpad, use of the
World-Wide Web and writing in Hypertext Mark-Up Language (HTML) in
the geometry classroom, and a an
exploration of dynamical systems. For more information, see the
Math 5337 Home Page.
In her initial position at the Center, Dr. Sander became the world's first
paid electronic journalist. From April, 1993 to June, 1995, she wrote
about the Geometry Center for the NSF-funded newsgroups and Web-site
The Geometry Forum.
Her articles are on a variety of topics and levels, and have been very
well received by research, teaching, and recreational geometers all
over the world. The articles are available in
Dr. Sander received her Ph.D. June 5, 1996 at the University of
Minnesota, working with Richard
McGehee She does research on the dynamics of noninvertible
maps. In particular, she is interested in stable manifolds and
hyperbolic sets in this context.
Dr. Sander's research includes her
thesis and a paper
A New Proof of the Stable
Manifold Theorem, Geometry Center Preprint GCG88, and to
appear, ZAMP with Richard
McGehee. For further information, see Dr. Sander's
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, 1990
Ph.D., June, 1996
University of Minnesota
- For further information, see Sander's
- Richard McGehee and Evelyn Sander, A New Proof of the
Stable Manifold Theorem,
Center GCG88, October, 1995, to appear, ZAMP.
- E. Sander, L.M. Sander, and R.M. Ziff, Fractals and
Fractal Correlations, Computers in Physics, Vol.8, No.4, 1994.
- Evelyn Sander, Geometry Forum Articles, Geometry
Center GCG69, May, 1994.
- Bob Hesse and Evelyn Sander, Further Geometry Forum
Articles, Geometry Center GCG83, June, 1995.
- Midwest Dynamical Systems Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, April, 1996.
- Northwestern University, April, 1996.
- Swarthmore College, March, 1996.
- Georgia Tech, February, 1996.
- Boston University, January, 1996.
- The Stable Manifold Theorem for Relations, talk at the Noninvertible Dynamical Systems Workshop, Geometry Center, March 14-16, 1995.
- Classical Geometry Using Geometer's Sketchpad, Geometry
Center Software Seminar, November 29, 1995.
- Dynamics and Mechanics Seminar, University of Minnesota,
November, 1995, March, 1995, October, 1993, June, 1993, January, 1993.
Up: Geometry Center Staff
The Geometry Center Home Page
Created: Nov 29 1995 ---
Last modified: Jun 26 1996