Loading Geometer's Sketchpad Files
If your copy of Netscape or Internet explorer is set up correctly,
anytime you click on a
link to a Sketchpad sketch, Geometer's Sketchpad will automatically
open. (In Microsoft(TM) Internet Explorer, you may be asked if you
want to save the sketchpad file or open it. Open it if you just
want to see the file. Save it if you want to keep it on your computer
for a while.) If this does not happen follow the following directions
for setting up your browser on your machine.
Netscape on the Macintosh
The following instructions have been modified from the
instructions on the Math Forum.
Geometer's Sketchpad Settings for Geometry Center
- Go to the Options menu and select Preferences
- Click on the popup menu and slide to the Helper Applications preference
- Click on New.
- Type in the new Mime type (e.g. application) and then the Subtype (e.g.
- Type in the Extensions (e.g. gsp).
- Click on Browse to locate the application you will use to view this new
file type (e.g. Geometer's Sketchpad).
- Click on the File Type popup menu to select the correct four letter file
code (e.g. GSPk).
- Click on the Launch Application button.
- Click OK.
Mime type SubType Extension File Code
(for sketches) application x-gsp gsp GSPk
(for scripts) application x-gss gss GSPc
Internet Explorer on Windows95 and NT
If Geometer's Sketchpad is installed correctly on the computer, the links
should respond correctly. The installation program registers the sketchpad
and script file types. If the links don't download the file and ask you
whether you want to open the file or save it, check with one of the instructors.
For other browsers and computers, or if you do not have Sketchpad and
want to download a demo version, see How to Set Up
The Geometry Center Home Page
Author: Evelyn Sander Edited by John McDonald
Created: Jun 24 1996 ---
Last modified: Jun 24 1996