Up: The Geometry Center Home Page
Back: Course Schedule
Mathematics on the Web: Basic Methods
Basic methods of including mathematical notation in web pages
take advantage of several relatively simple mechanisms within HTML:
Some Advantages of Basic Methods
- Basic methods are the most reliable:
- Pages are highly transportable,
- They reach the largest possible audience,
- Expert knowledge is not required to create them;
- Entities and marked-up text are searchable;
- Files of reasonable size can be easy to download.
Some Disadvantages of Basic Methods
- Limited layout possibilities;
- Work-arounds can take time to develop;
- Limited interactivity.
A useful tool for mathematicians is
More advanced methods
utilize other software and file formats that will be reviewed next, including:
- HyperTeX and its relatives,
- Adobe PDF files,
- WebEQ java-based equation rendering, and
- SGML publishing tools.
The Geometry Center Home Page
Copyright © 1996, The Geometry Center, University of Minnesota.
All rights reserved.
Please request permission
to reuse material from this page.
Last modified: Wed May 29 16:12:06 1996