Homework 2 Problem #8
HOMEWORK 2 PROBLEM #8
The following lesson plan gives students a step-by-step process to follow for constructing a tangent line from a point to a circle.
- Construct any circle with radius and center (C) using a compass.
- Construct any point (A) outside the circle.
- Construct a segment from the center of the circle (C) to the point (A) outside the circle using a straight-edge.
- Construct the midpoint (B) of the segment (AC) using only a compass.
- Draw a circle (C') with a compass that has radius (BA).
- Construct two new points where the two circles intersect and label them (D) and (E).
- Construct the two lines (AD) and (AE) using a ruler. These lines will be the two external tangent lines to the circle.
Click the icon to return to Naomi's homepage.