Garth's Magic Java Makefile
IDVI was developed on a SparcStation 5 running Solaris 2.5, with nothing more than
the Java Developer's Kit and a good makefile. This makefile resides at the top level
of the source release.
- The makefile can be copied without modification into any package hierarchy,
and only needs configuration if you will use the "make public" or "make release" options.
- Links to the makefile can be created in all subdirectories using "make makefiles",
and removed using "make nomakefiles". This permits easy use from any subdirectory.
- All out of date source files in all subdirectories can be recompiled using "make".
- The appletviewer can be started on the file "index.html" in the current directory using "make run".
- All class files can be removed using "make clean".
- Current class files can be copied to a web server using "make public".
- An arbitrary subset of files can be copied to another directory hierarchy using "make release".
- The name of a package can be changed (changing the package and import lines in all source
files and recursing on subdirectories) using "make changepackage OLD=... NEW=...".